Glacier Tours in New Zealand
- There are two glaciers on the West Coast of New Zealand's South Island that are accessible for tours.
- they are called Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers and are located 30 minutes drive apart
- It takes about 5 hours to drive to them from Christchurch or from Queenstown.
- Franz Josef glacier is currently only doing Ice Tours with access by Helicopter. The cheapest Helicopter Flight and Guided Glacier walk combo is to choose the Ice Explorer. You can get a discount by purchasing an open dated glow-worms Cave and Ice Explorer Deal Pass. See more details HERE
- Fox Glacier provides both helicopter or walk in access to the glacier ice tours.
- Both glaciers provide an extended helicopter flight and guided glacier walk on the ice as a combo callled glacier heli hikes. If you want the cheaper helicopter flight and Guided Ice walk combo make sure you ask for the Ice Explorer at Franz Josef
To make glacier walk bookings go to these websites
FRANZ JOSEF ACCOMMODATION
Franz Josef Holiday Home: (A good choice for groups)
You're welcome to stay in our holiday home. Located 3 kilometres north of Franz Josef village away from the helicopter noise you'll have a relaxed stay here. This 3 bedroom holiday house has a queen sized double bed in each room and has further roll away single beds to sleep up to 12 people. An infants cot is also available. All bedding and towels are supplied The house is self-service so you can come and go as you please with late check out. If you were thinking of a motel, hotel, B&B, backpackers farm or homestay then this is a great alternative with more space, more privacy and fewer people.
Quiet country location.
Spa bath and shower.
Queen sized beds.
Full-sized kitchen, microwave & dishwasher.
Free Laundry & Drier use.
Free Satellite TV & DVD player.
Free tea, coffee and chocolate drinks.
Based on having the whole house to yourself, the rates depend on the number of beds you use, how many nights you wish to stay and the time of the year.
And if you have done any tours with us, we can show our appreciation of your support by giving you a cheaper rate. Best thing is to contact us with your requirements & we will quote.
Click here to view, pricing, availability and to make an instant booking
When paying by credit card there is an additional 3% charged to cover the bank processing fees.
If you are paying from overseas by internet bank transfer the bank transfer fees seem to range from $25 to $50. These charges are your own additional cost so be careful about understanding how much this will be..
Coming from Hokitika: Once you go past Lake Mapourika, the farmstead house is another 5 km further. You’ll go over the Potters Creek bridge and then look out for Greens Road on your right. Look for the number 2600 on the front fence on your right hand side. If you see a building on the left saying "Franz Josef Mechanical" then you have gone 100 meters too far. If you have a GPS put in 2600 Franz Josef Highway
Coming from Franz Josef Village: It is about 4 minutes drive from the village heading towards Hokitika and Christchurch. You go across 2 bridges then it is the next house on your left. That is, the next house on your left after Stoney Creek Bridge.
Free ph from within New Zealand 0508 286 877
or free phone from within Australia 1800 11 4881